Five Tips on how to Stay Safe from Potential Bill Scams
Posted On: May 18, 2016
As CEO Larry Mondry is fond of saying, “without the customer, we wouldn’t exist.” Here at Stream, nothing matters more to us than good customer service. One of the ways we strive to provide you with the best possible service is by keeping you in the know when it comes to possible billing scams.
If someone suspicious contacts you demanding payment for your electricity bill, threatening you with disconnection, or making other outrageous claims, beware. Falling victim to a billing scam can cost you both time and money.
But don’t worry; we know exactly how to protect you from these schemes. Just follow these helpful Stream consumer tips to keep yourself safe from harmful billing scams!
- Identify potential imposters. Imposters/scanners will pretend to be someone you trust or a company you currently do business with. If you get an unexpected request to send money—whether it’s a phone call, text message, or an email—do not respond or give out personal information.
- Don’t let your emotions or fear get the best of you. Take a minute to stop and research. If you receive a call or are contacted by someone requesting money, do an online search to find out if other customers are reporting these incidents. Type words into the search engine like “money wire scam” or anything that may describe the situation.
- Don’t pay upfront or wire money. Credit cards have fraud protection services built in, unlike other payment methods. Most government bodies and professional companies are going to communicate payment requests through U.S. mail or a subscription-based email and will not pressure you to wire money.
- Verify and call the company’s customer service. Immediately go to the company’s website and verify the phone number, then call their service department to inquire about the request and have them review your account. They will be able to confirm if the request was a scam.
- Register for free scam alerts from the FTC at ftc.gov/scams. Receive the latest tips and advice regarding any current scams you may need to be aware of, right in your inbox.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. To verify our contact information, go to MyStream.com/contact.